Thursday 17 March 2011

Anyone But the English


Told you I’d use it.

As the Tottclock counts down to the big draw in whatever bastion of garish lighting UEFA have chosen for the over-egged spectacle cake, we’re now privy to the full guest list for the Champions League all-the-way-to-the-final draw.

Based purely on teams I think we’ll have a chance of beating, here’s my 1-7 in order of preference: Schalke, Shaktar, Inter, Chelski, Real, Manure, Barca.

BUT. Being a Tottenham fan and genetically predisposed to looking for the glory in the game, as well as the mental fragility of our lot in games we’re expected to win, here’s my list, in order of who I want:



That’s it. I want to watch us play this Barcelona team, considered by many to be the best club side EVER, and will be an unbearably petulant baby if we don’t get them. Think Wenger letting a 2 goal lead at home slip, but less funny.

My thinking is that, and I’m not saying we won’t, but we MAY NOT finish 4th this season, and of the 8 teams left in the draw, we can probably consider ourselves in the top 2 of teams the others would prefer to face. This could be our last chance in at least a couple of years for a truly massive tie, so I say bring ‘em on. While I perhaps wouldn’t have hand picked AC Milan in the last 16, I was delighted when we did draw them, as our game seemed a good fit in terms of set-up. It also ensured that even if we were to fall short, there’d be no lack of focus or effort against a giant of the European game. I’d fear for the mindset of our squadron more than anything if we were to draw SchalShak than if we were to face one of the Spanish contingent.

The bigger, the better seems to be our mantra. One-off  super performances against the big teams are our specialty. Being professional in games we’re expected to win, less so.

Either way, I can’t wait. Anyone but the English… or Inter. Familiarity, contempt, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment