Friday 1 April 2011

Wigan Ahead


Hullo!

Apologies for dipping out of signal, International breaks bring out the fair-weather in me and I just couldn’t find the effort to write about the 10 minutes of the Wales game I saw, or the 0 minutes of the Ghana game I was exposed to. That coupled with the fact that I set myself the task of washing, sanding, undercoating (x2) and top coating the kitchen cupboards after work every night this week has left me in a zombie-like state. Real life eh?!

From one domestic matter to another then, and it’s back to the grind on Saturday with a trip to Wigan. I’ve actually been to the DW; went a few years back in the 1-1 draw when Berbatov scored. Remember that? I was there and it was pretty forgettable so I shan’t judge if you don’t. Situated behind a retail park, boasting a massive JJB Sports obviously, the stadium looms discreetly on approach. ‘Functional’ would be a word I’d use to describe it; like the shop’s it’s surrounded by, there is no magic or glory in it’s anticipation or stature… but perhaps I’m just a spoilt Park-Lane-approachin’ brat.

For all it’s wallpapereyness (real word) I do however remember the Wigan fans singing to Emile Heskey ‘’used to be shite, but now ‘ee’s alright, walkin’ in an ‘eskey wonderland’’ which apparently passed as support up in them parts, and that the caterers did a particularly decent line in cheese pies. If you’re lucky (?) enough to be going, I urge you to sample this strangely brilliant northern delicacy. There is also a Pizza Hut in the same retail park should you choose to compound the utter misery that could well befall us if our chaps already have their heads in Madrid.

Wigan worry me. Not because they’re really brilliant at playing football or anything, but because they are just as likely to roll over for a 9-1 thrashing as they are to put on a performance of counter-attacking textbookery (more real words) and win 1-0. If it’s better the devil you know, then I don’t know what the devil to expect on Saturday. If memory serves, our visit last year had an offside Defoe goal and a handsome brace from everyone’s favourite Russian that kicked of a fantastic run of goal scoring form and helped get us to the Promised Land. Another Phoenix from the flames performance from our forward lads- hopefully Pav as I’m getting facial ticks every time I see Jermain Defoe- might just help set up a repeat during this end game.

Here’s some other Spurs stuff that hit my sloppy radar:

So we’re challenging the decision to award the stadium to the Spammers eh? I suppose it was too much to ask for us to bow out gracefully wasn’t it? As regular readers will know (hi Mum!), I’ve said all I’ve had to say on the OS hoopla, and shan’t be tempted back into comment until such time as there’s anything more concrete to comment upon. So there.

The ‘I know you are, but what am I?’ between ourselves and the Welsh continues over Gareth’s hamstring strain. They maintain it was us who done the injuring, Spurs physio-type fella Wayne Diesel says otherwise. I’m going to believe Vin’s harder and more handsome brother (almost certainly not true), because he’s got a funny name.

In other Bews (Bale news yeah?), no sooner has the lad signed a 4.5 year extension than we’re being linked to a lad named Bastos who’s to be his replacement when he does the off this summer. Still, talk that the new dealio has a few release/buy-out clauses seems to be in line with the way things are done these days. Last year we were contemplating a return to the Ropey League, now it appears that any player not guaranteed CL footers will be turning tail and running before you can say ‘Alex who?, and why does he want to talk to me?’ Still, nice to hear Gallas has signed a new deal which only the most belligerent Tottenham fan could argue he’s not deserved.

2 comments:

  1. I see you've started replying to your own posts.
    Desperate stuff.
    Did you get tickets ? I hear that there are still some for sale at 80 Euros in Madrid or have you given it up as a bad job?
    e-mail Liz at liz@irishrover.com and see if she can locate some/any.
    My last blog but one will explain the link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got it all wrong. That was my brother who's also called Rio who has a google sign on and likes to pretend tooooooooooooo

    Yeah, no you're right, I replied to my own article. But i'm not desperate.

    Know anyone who needs a watch?

    Didn't get tickets by a long way. I had decided not to go for various reasons and just write off the cost of the flights, but then I read your blog and checked RM.com yesterday to see if there was anything that could change my mind again. There were only E135 tickets left and none in a group so sticking to home. Never mind.

    ReplyDelete